Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The LM-2

I'm listening to the LM-1's on my desktop. They've made fine desktop and shelf surround speakers. But truth is they are shy in the bass. Using a new desktop amp, the bass boost feature helps.

So now I'm thinking about the LM-2. An improved version in the same box. While thinking about designing a 3-way I came across a promising new mid-woofer, the FaitalPRO 5FE120.

It is about the same cost, and efficiency but has some interesting improvements:

  • About double the power handling
  • Better fit in a 0.25 cubic foot cabinet - Deeper bass
  • Even smoother response than the Peerless 830991
  • Physically 1/4" smaller. 
  • Much better high frequency extension
A good match for it may be the SB Acoustics SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 N ring radiator tweeter. It is as smooth as the XT25BG in the LM-1, but more importantly, about 32 mm smaller in diameter faceplate.  It is unfortunately about $20 more expensive.

The LM-1 were designed to be on a desk or shelf, but the LM-2's with the increased power handling and bass I will make stand-alone.

Another, novel idea I may incorporate here is to reverse the position of the tweeter and woofer. I'll put the woofer at ear level and offset the tweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment