Friday, November 27, 2015

Noes - Desesperation Crossover

What do you do when you have a long weekend, great new speaker drivers and your crossover parts are still a week away?  Improvise!

The Noes design calls for a 2.8kHz crossover point with a 3-5 db tweeter pad, among other things.  My plan was to tinker with the crossover during the long Thanksgiving weekend, and have them close to finished by Monday.  So I had two choices:

  • Do nothing and use the woofer full range
  • Find crossover settings that would work with the parts I had.
Desperate, I chose the latter.  I ended up with a crossover point at around 6.8kHz with the tweeter about 5 db lower than desired.  Why?  I only had 10 ohm power resistors left in my arsenal, and this was the lowest I could cross the woofer over with the parts I had.

How does it sound and look?  Surprisingly good!

Thanks to Omnimic I was able to quickly tell I had to reverse the tweeter.  Not my favorite situation, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

I've had the opportunity to listen to some fabulous recordings via our local classical internet station, KDFC.  The Mundorf AMT's are spectacular, I can't wait to finish the real crossovers.

 The crossover breadboards.  The top section is the tweeter, bottom is the woofer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment